Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Tough Mudder - Obstacles!

A little over a week ago a group 23 athletes from THE BEST CrossFit Gym, CrossFit Victorious, came together in Edna, Texas to take on Tough Mudder. I was crazy enough to be sign up to be a part of this group.



Tough Mudder is a 12 mile course with 25 obstacles designed by British Special Forces. I have to admit, when I signed up I didn't really know what I was signing up for. I saw the link on FB, heard CFV was forming a group and so I clicked the link, filled out my info, paid my money AND THEN I started watching the videos and scrolling through the slide show, and began to freak out.


12 miles....TWELVE....MILES.... 12 miles seemed like a loooooong way...I drive 11.2 to the gym everyday, and I began to imagine if I had RUN that distance. For anyone who has known me for any length of time, especially before my CrossFit days would know that something like Tough  Mudder would have been LAST on my list of things I would even consider attempting. I am the girl who faked whatever symptoms I could in High School to avoid PE. I have never been athletic and Tough Mudder just seemed insane. However, because of CrossFit and the confidence the Lord has given me over the past few years, I signed up. Yes, I was still scared, terrified really, and certain I was going to die, BUT  I was excited to see how far I could go.

A few days before the event I got a text from a great friend who said "remember to pay attention to the parallels."  For some people, events like these are things they accomplish and move on....however, I tend to analyze and try to find significance, and as my friend reminded me, "parallels" as to how lessons learned can carry over in to real life. Little did I know, there would be SO MANY "lessons learned."

First Lesson: Facing Obstacles

One of the first verses that came to mind with Tough Mudder was James 1:2-8
"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. BUT if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord,  being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways."
Most of us know the "consider it all joy..." part and really try to face challenges with joy, knowing that, in the end, something good will come. 
However, what stuck out to me after Tough Mudder, when I looked back at this verse, there is a second part...the "but" ... "But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

It's easy to say "consider it all joy"... or this is "testing your faith/endurance"...however, we (I) often look over the part that says "if you are lacking wisdom."  
There were MANY obstacles in Tough Mudder that I "lacked wisdom" or  "lacked the ability." The one example that sticks out the most is the large walls that we had to climb over.  I know, left to myself, there is no way I would have been able to make it over them. But, I had help: Two of the CFV trainers were there to help me get over the wall. Once we all got over the first wall, they would come over and assist us in getting over the next walls. As I approached one of the walls, they were not there yet, however there were a few other people ready to help. I looked at them for a second and then decided I'd wait. I didn't want to ask just anyone for help. I wanted to ask the right people - those who I could trust, have faith in that they wouldn't let me fall.  
 But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord,  being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways." "

A note in my Bible says that the definition of a "double-minded" man is someone who asks, but then doesn't wait for the wisdom, but reacts instead according to his own strength/wisdom. If we ask for the wisdom, we must have the faith that He will give it us. It would be ridiculous for me to ask for help over the walls and then try, on my own, to jump over the wall, while they are right there waiting to help.  
 There are few instances lately that I have been guilty of this. I have asked for wisdom, strength, guidance...then I move over on the "wall" and try to accomplish it on my own - which, usually ends in failure - not joy.  We not only need to ask for wisdom and strength, but rely on it, trust it, then we will truly be able to face the obstacles/trials with joy, knowing that although they may be tough, they will be conquered and result in amazing growth.


No comments:

Post a Comment