Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Fool Proof Chicken...

...and I would know - because when it comes to cooking chicken, I am a fool. I have NEVER in my adult life been able to successfully cook a chicken. Sure, I "cook" chicken, but it has yet (until now) turned out to be anything but slightly "edible." I blame it on my paranoia of undercooked chicken that has caused me to overcook it every time.

Awhile back I came across, and tried, this recipe on the "Every Day Paleo" website. I have since made this chicken several times and it is so good and one of the easiest things I've ever made - seriously -  so, I thought I'd share

Start with a 3-4 lb whole chicken (innards removed). Wash and pat dry.  Lots of salt.....that's it. No other seasonings, no veggies, nothing - just salt. The recipe says to "let salt rain down" - inside and out.

Place it in a "roasting pan" (I am single, this is the closest I have to a "roasting pan") - it works!

Bake for an hour at 450degrees

* Warning: If you live in an apartment or a small house - this WILL set the smoke detector off - several times. It WILL happen - expect it, deal with it, apologize to your neighbors in advance if you must.

Remove from oven....and enjoy! It really is that simple. 

Chicken.Salt.450.1hr.YUM!


I forgot to take a picture of the whole chicken before I started picking the skin off!
The skin is crispy and delicious and the meat is juicy, tender and so yummy. I ate mine tonight with green beans and a little red wine. :)

*side note, if you would have told me a few years ago that I would eat chicken straight off the bone (dark meat in particular) along with the skin I would have said you were crazy. However, CrossFit, paleo/whole30 and, I guess, just growing up has opened my eyes to the deliciousness that is dark meat chicken and crispy/yummy skin! This is now one of my favorite meals (aside from the annoying smoke detector).

Enjoy!

1 comment: